Saturday, May 4, 2013

The "Question"?

Twelve years ago, I was teaching 1st grade Science. During the summer in-service reporting, I was informed by the Assistant Principal about a pupil that I'll be handling. During our short meeting, the mother of the kid informed me about her son's medical condition. King is currently undergoing treatment from "Leukemia". During those moments, I was thinking of a strategy on how I can best help him. 
King was a very diligent, obedient, warm, friendly, and intelligent pupil. His classmates treat him well and he was even elected as one of the class officers. During recess and lunch periods, his classmates would take turns in talking and playing with him. It is as if he wasn't sick. As any other boy his age, he is fascinated with robots, cartoons, toys and superheroes. We would usually spend spare time during my class and break periods discussing those things. 
Though things were good for him in school, towards the middle of the school year, his absences were now becoming more frequent. His classmates would usually ask me every morning if he is coming to school. At that time, his mom informed me that his body is slowly resisting his current treatment regimen. That made his classmates pray intently for his recovery. 
Towards the end of the year, we were preparing for the Christmas the holidays when one recess period, King approached me and asked me in his soft voice "Mr. Hector, can I ask a question?". I said "Sure, let's go to my table". I sat on my chair and he stood really close to me and then he said "Sir, is there a God?". I smiled at him and told him that there is a supreme being that watches over us and someone that listen to our prayers. He was fidgeting with his hand when he told me "Is he a fair God?". I have to pause for a long moment and choosing my words carefully I explained to him that God is fair and that the trials that we experience in our lives are things that would make us stronger. He looked at me for a long time and then he said, "Sir, I do my best in school, I am obedient, I pray everyday, I am good to everyone, but why did God made me very sick?. . . Why Me?" I sat there frozen on my chair then he continued talking "You know Sir, it is very painful". At that moment I noticed that he was really struggling to stand and his entire body was shaking. I realized, here is a seven (7) year old boy who is asking me a question that I cannot answer. My words simply vanished and all I did at that moment was to reach out for him and hug him. Then afterwards after he stopped shaking, he simply walked back to his chair after saying "Thank you Sir"
King joined our creator after that school year. I never had the opportunity to answer his question. King thought me to value the small things in my life everyday and he made me treasure the bonds that I create with the people that I meet. I know he is continuously smiling in heaven.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...